Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Scars, marks and tattoos

Okay, I know what you are thinking, here she goes with the police lingo again. While we did have to enter scars, marks and tattoos as descriptors when entering wanted or missing people, or unidentified bodies, I'm not talking about that now. Instead I am talking about well, scars, marks and tattoos.

I have acquired many scars in my life time. You know the usual scraped knee, doink in the head, cut chin from falling up the stairs. The biggest are on my belly from a hysterectomy 11 years ago. The marks of course would be freckles and birthmarks, or an occasional bruise. Same as anyone else for sure.

Barb has a rose tattooed on her breast. Many years ago, my baby brudder had his children's faces tattooed on his chest, over his heart. His daughter doesn't look good with a beard. My dad got a tattoo on his forearm when he was in the Navy during WWII, (he now regrets it). A friend of mine that is a sheriff's deputy has a gun tattooed on her ankle. I knew a woman with multiple tattoos, on her upper arms, forearms and chest. She was a biker chick, with her own Harley. Cool. One time I saw a picture of a woman, that was a breast cancer survivor, with the tattoo of a vine on her mastectomy scar. It was beautiful.

I have always wanted to get a "tat". Years ago, I designed one for myself. I just can't figure out where to put it on my body that I can look at it too. I don't like the idea of having a tattoo on my forearm, that seems to masculine for me. The tattoo I designed is not big or garish, but rather simple in its beauty. A heart shaped Earth centered on a medicine wheel, the colors of the four directions. A symbol of my Spiritual path, that like my Spiritual beliefs will not fade.

I know, I know, tattoos mark you forever. Will I still want it when I am in my 100's? How will it look when I am dressed up? How will it look when I start to sag (more)? There are a lot of pros and cons. Believe me a lot of time will be spent making the final decision. Once I figure out where to put my "tat", I will post a picture here on my blog.

5 comments:

Katy said...

Your design idea for a tattoo sounds great Boni. But yes, the dilemma of placing - for us women anyway - is a tricky one isn't it? Perhaps somewhere where it is usually covered and where me choose to reveal it if we so wish?

I'll let you into a secret: I had a tattoo last year to mark my 40th birthday. Also to my own design in a flowing handwritten script style, it's the Latin inscription "Tempus Fugit" (literally, 'time flees' but more usually translated as 'time flies'). It's on my back across the very bottom of my spine, just about around the jeans waistband line. I took a long time (several years) figuring out what I wanted and where and I love it :-)

Maybe I'll post a picture of it on my blog one day too.

Have a great weekend,

Katy :-)

its_me_in_montana said...

Hi Katy,

Your tattoo sounds wonderful. I am kind of leaning towards putting mine on the front of my shoulder, like part of the flower in the picture I have on this post. That way I can look down and see it. Maybe under my collar bone.

I am getting closer to the day this will happen. I feel quite comfortable with my decision.

Have a wonderful weekend too.

Anonymous said...

They do take alot of thought, my first one that you mentioned in your blog the rose on my left breast (over my heart) is a rose for my (our) grandmother on dads side she loved roses and had passed on, the 3 thorns are for my 3 sons they can little prickly at times, and the 2 leafs are for my 2daughters. Daughters grow and get married and leave the home. MY next one I got when I was divorced for 10 years it is a lion with wings since I am a leo, I sprouted my wings after 10 years. I have now been divorced 20 years and will be getting my new one soon. I showed you the sketch of it, it will go on my leg. Let me know when you get yours. I love you very much and cant wait to hear mom say Boni what is that on your breast!!! and you say it is called a nipple. I love you your witchy sister.

Fram Actual said...

I did not notice this post before, Boni. I must have been too busy inspecting the tattoos on young ladies.

As you might suspect, I have none. I possibly am the only man who made it though the Marine Corps without getting one.

Good luck to you with your plan.

its_me_in_montana said...

Oh Fram,

You are an amazing man, now we add "tattoo inspector" to you ever growing list of attributes.

My bro-in-law is an ex-Marine with no tattoos. Looking at him today tho, you can hardly tell he was a Marine.

Thanks for stopping by. You made me chuckle, I'm glad for that.

Bring us up to date on the free bird's flight would you?

Peace