Thursday, March 26, 2009

The quest to find the crystal


I met with Steve in Big Springs. There was no chemistry there. When he walked into the room all I saw was Yertl the Turtle without his shell on. He was an old acting man of 51, with eyes that didn't look at me when we talked. From our hours of conversation, I knew he was not Milton after all.

I continued my journey to Colorado, to get the Milton Quest crystal. In the back of my mind I wondered if the crystal would still be on the rock shelf I had left in on so many years before. I have to tell you, Pikes Peak Highway, near the top above the tree line, scares the crap out of me. But, I braved the drive anyway.

When I got to mile marker 17, I found they had done roadwork over the years. The rock shelves I remembered were no longer there. No rock shelves meant no crystal. It was gone. Maybe somewhere at the bottom of the bottomless pit.

That did not, however, mean the quest was over.....not at all.

No comments: